How should I distribute my press release? Should I use a service, or should I go through a press release distribution site? How do I distribute press releases for free?
These questions may race through your mind as you complete your first press release. But, don’t worry, we are here to help and inform.
Recommended: We recommend eReleases if you want a well-written and widely distributed press release to help funnel in more customers and increase revenue for your business.
PRESS RELEASE GUIDE:
- Proof Press Releases Work
- Why is Press Release Distribution Important
- What You Should Know About Press Release Distribution
- How to Distribute a Press Release for Free
- How Else Could You Distribute a Press Release for Free
- Final Recap
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Related Articles
Proof Press Releases Work
Did you know that 44% of journalists consider press releases to be the most reliable source of brand-related content? These documents are a simple way to keep the line of communication open between you and the media.
According to Agility PR, over 3 million press releases are sent out daily, helping journalists find content to write about.
Press Releases :
- Provide pertinent information.
- Include photos, videos, and links that journalists can easily copy and paste.
- Allow newsworthy information to be formatted in an easy-to-read package.
Read our Best Press Release Distribution Service 2021 review to find the right press release distribution for your business’s specific needs.
Why is Press Release Distribution Important?
Simply writing a press release isn’t enough. You need to send it to the right people in the correct format. Sending a press release to a publication that isn’t within your target doesn’t make sense. You need to also reach your target audience.
Why Distribution Technique Is Important:
- The right people need to publish your release.
- You need your target to see the information. You don’t need a national magazine to publish an article about your town’s upcoming Halloween bash.
- If you send the release to the wrong publication, they may not publish it.
What You Should Know About Press Release Distribution
There are different routes you can take when distributing a press release. You can use a free service, distribute it yourself, or you can pay a distribution service.
If you are distributing it yourself, you need to stay organized and get personal. No one wants a generalized email that looks like it was sent by a bot, and more importantly, you do not want to address someone by the wrong name.
What you should include in a press release distribution email:
- Include the press release (of course), both in the body of the email and as a .doc file.
- Add the main point of contact and their information.
- Attach any pertinent photos or graphics.
- Direct link anything and everything!
How to Distribute a Press Release for Free
Start a spreadsheet and create columns for the publication’s title, a link to the site, your point of contact name, their contact information, a column signifying if you have actually sent the email, a column that shows if they have responded, and lastly, you’ll need a column for a link to the article. Begin to fill this out as you find publications that would be a good fit.
Your Press Release Checklist:
- Create a subject line that is intriguing and eye-catching. This is typically some variation of your press release title.
- Type out the recipient’s name.
Make sure you address them personally at the top of the email.
- Copy and paste the press release into the body text.
- FORMAT, FORMAT, FORMAT! You do not want this to look copy and pasted.
- Add in a blurb about more information being in the .doc file that you’ve attached.
- Type your contact, or the main point of contact’s, name before you sign off.
How Else Could You Distribute a Press Release for Free
Besides sending it out yourself, you could also go through a service. You would be using the free version of this service so you may not reach as many publications as you’d like.
Ways to Distribute a Press Release for Free:
- Distribute the press release yourself.
- Go through a distribution service.
- Hybrid model : Distribute the release yourself and use a free service.
There are many different ways you can distribute a press release. However, if you are trying to distribute a release for free, your options become slim.
You can go through the process of distributing the release yourself, and/or you can also go through a service. Both have their own advantages and drawbacks.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know what the best option is for me?
You have to analyze your company and the message. Is it specific? You may need to use your personal connections to get something published. You also need to take into consideration how much time you are able to put into distributing this information. Could the service send out more press releases than you can? Answering these questions will help you find the best option for your needs.
What publications should I send the release to?
Google is your best friend. Searching for something as simple as “gardening magazines” or “publications about gardening” should do the trick. Now, sometimes this only brings up a limited amount of publications. In this case, you may need to visit or call your local gardening store and ask them what their favorite publications are. You could even ask in different Reddit forums.
What are the drawbacks of sending the release out myself?
You may not be able to send out your release to as many publications. This also opens up room for human error. But, this could also work out in your favor — you may be able to connect to someone personally, or even use your connections to get your article published.
What is the best free way to distribute my press release?
There is not a “best” way for everyone. You have to take into consideration the pros and cons of each method. This may also vary release to release.
What are the drawbacks of sending out my press release through a distribution service?
Using a distribution service is a great option. They can guarantee placement, but it may not be on a site you’d like to be on. You are also not able to use your personal connections to get an article published.
What is a press release?
A press release is a brief statement that features a news announcement about — or from — an organization. Companies and other organizations use press releases to announce new product launches, earnings reports, management changes, and more. Press releases make it easier for journalists and news outlets to learn about potential news items to inform their reporting.
How do you end a press release?
The last section of a press release should include your press contact information. Specifically, it should feature your press contact name(s), phone number(s), and email address(es).
How should you structure a press release?
Press releases typically contain six parts organized as follows:
- The issuing organization’s logo along with its location and the date
- An attention-grabbing headline
- A succinct introduction with a strong lede statement
- Three paragraphs of body content (in descending order of importance)
- The organization’s boilerplate content
- The press release contact information
Where do you send press releases?
Organizations distribute their press releases to relevant media contacts. This includes newspapers, magazines, radio stations, television networks, and online news sites, among others.
If you don’t want to spend your time tracking down relevant media outlets, submit your press releases to a press release distribution service like eReleases. Many of these distribution services also will offer to write your press releases. This can save you even more time and help ensure your company issues professionally written releases more likely to appeal to reporters.
Should I send a press release as a Microsoft Word Doc or PDF file?
Never send a press release as a PDF file. PDFs can prove challenging to format and likely will reduce the chance of a journalist reading and reporting on your news.
Instead, submit your press release to a press release distribution service as a Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx) file.
If you plan to send your release directly to a reporter, copy and paste its content directly into your email rather than including an attachment. Why? Most reporters dislike attachments because they can easily clog up their inboxes.
Do press releases work?
Yes, press releases do work. They also provide many benefits.
Besides the obvious benefit of sharing corporate news with media outlets to promote potential coverage, press releases also help businesses improve their search engine optimization (SEO) rankings and brand recognition. In addition, they can help companies increase sales and market share as well as enhance their credibility.
Press releases also can serve as a tool for mitigating negative media coverage. Public relations firms often use them to help their clients improve their reputations.